Thursday, May 16, 2013
Tuesday's Metrorail fire caused commuters to sound off on Twitter.
Metro troubles reared their ugly head again on Tuesday as a track fire on the Red Line in Silver Spring caused significant delays during evening rush hour. Commuters took to Twitter to share their woes. @MROBart of Washington, DC was happy to have Twitter as a communication channel: "thank u #twitterverse for keeping us folks on the redline informed about the #silver spring FIRE when @wmata has failed to do so!" @wisemetis of Silver Spring had her evening plans impacted: "Red line train on fire at Silver Spring. Guesd I'm missing knit night tonight." @jonathanbtucker of DC might have come up with a new pick-up line: ""Baby, you look like the Red Line.... on fire!" -- no really tho, there's a fire on the DC metro Red Line near Silver Spring…
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Metro suspended rail service between Takoma and Forest Glen stations Tuesday evening.
Update Service is back to normal at the Silver Spring Metro station, Metro announced via Twitter at 10:40 p.m. Tuesday. Original post A fire on the tracks that sent billowing smoke over downtown Silver Spring forced the evacuation of the Silver Spring Metro station at the peak of Tuesday evening’s rush hour. No one was injured as firefighters brought the fire under a Red Line train under control quickly, said Assistant Chief Scott Graham, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service. NBC4 video from the scene showed thick white smoke after the fire was extinguished. The fire was in electrical insulation and connectors on the tracks, Graham said. Red Line service was suspended between the Takoma and Forest Glen stations, …
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The fire started in or near the home's electrical panel, an MCFR spokesperson said.
A Monday evening fire in a Gaithersburg home caused a combined $50,000 in damage, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Patch. MCFR was dispatched to a home in the 8200 block of Langport Terrace just before 6 p.m., MCFR spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. Firefighters extinguished the fire in the home's basement, in or near its electrical panel, Nesselt said. The fire caused $40,000 worth of structural damage and an additional $10,000 in damage to property.
"A $20 smoke alarm probably saved their lives," says MCFR spokesperson.
A family of six was unharmed but displaced from its home following a fire in their Montgomery Village town house early Tuesday, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Patch. Fire and Rescue units were dispatched shortly before 1 a.m. to the 19900 block of Spur Hill Drive, MCFR spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. First arriving units found a basement fire and requested additional resources, she said. The small fire was located and extinguished, Nesselt said. The occupants of the home—two adults and four children—were awakened by the activated smoke alarm, she said. The family fled the house and called 911. "A $20 smoke alarm probably saved their lives," Nesselt said. Approximately 80 percent of fire fatalities occur in homes…
Thursday, April 18, 2013
North Potomac: 'All of my neighbors were outside last night watching the flames which were huge.'
A fire in a vacant North Potomac home Wednesday night took more than 55 firefighters to put out, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson told Patch. Firefighters were dispatched to the 14900 block of Talking Rock Court around 8 p.m., MCFRS spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. First reponders reported a large fire in a vacant single-family home that is under construction. Firefighters took a defensive approach, controlling and extinguishing the fire quickly, Nesselt said. "All of my neighbors were outside last night watching the flames, which were huge," Robyn Rutland of North Potomac told Patch in an email. Rutland is a resident of the Mills Farm neighborhood, which is off Quince Orchard Road. "We were amazed at how high …
No one was injured in either fire, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson said.
Firefighters doused two fires in Gaithersburg apartment complexes Wednesday, according to a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson. Around 3:30 p.m., MCFR officials were dispatched to the 9900 block of Shelburne Terrace for the report of a building fire, MCFR spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt said. Four hours later, they were sent to the 400 block of Christopher Avenue for a similar report. Firefighters arriving at the Shelburne Terrace location reported a fire in the "breezeway/first floor" entranceway to the apartment complex, Nesselt said. Residents of the building were sheltered in place and the fire was put out at 3:40 p.m. without any injuries. MCFR officials dispatched to the Christopher Avenue location found a fire in a third …
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Damage estimates were $120,000, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Patch.
Four people—two adults, two children—and a dog were displaced from a Gaithersburg home that was severely damaged in a fire Monday evening, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Patch. MCFRS was dispatched to the 8800 block of Welbeck Way in the Montgomery Village area of Gaithersburg about 8:15 p.m. Monday for the report of a fire in the laundry room, Beth Anne Nesselt said. Units arrived on the scene with smoke showing from the first and second floors of a three-story townhouse and requested additional resources. Firefighters extinguished the fire that had extended through the second and third floors, Nesselt told Patch. An origin and cause investigation determined that the fire originated in the dryer. The Red Cross was …
Friday, March 29, 2013
No one was injured in the fire, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson told Patch.
A Thursday afternoon fire in a Gaithersburg home was caused by an electrical malfunction, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt told Patch. No occupants of the home—in the 200 block of Cedar Avenue—were injured in the fire, which extended into the attic area of the house, she said. Damage estimates were unavailable as of Friday afternoon, she said.
Thursday, March 7, 2013
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service units were dispatched to the Montgomery Village area of Gaithersburg Thursday afternoon.
An adult female required medical attention for possible smoke inhalation after a microwave caught fire in the Montgomery Village area of Gaithersburg Thursday afternoon, according to a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson. MCFRS units were dispatched just after 2 p.m. to a house in the 20300 block of Oyster Bay Terrace for the report of a fire, MCFRS spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt told Patch. Officials remained on scene checking for extension of the fire, Nesselt said. No other injuries were reported. Editor's Note: This article has been updated to correctly reflect the location after originally identying it as the Laytonsville area of Gaithersburg.
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
A Monday morning fire at 28 S. Frederick Ave., causes about $225,000 in damage, The Gazette reports.
A two-story commercial building in Gaithersburg housing several businesses was severely damaged in a fire Monday morning, The Gazette reported. Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Beth Anne Nesselt told The Gazette the fire started in the rear of the 28 S. Frederick Ave. complex around 4 a.m. No one was injured and the fire caused approximately $225,000 in damage, according to the report. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Read the full story on The Gazette.