The Montgomery County Fire Department responded to a fire on the 13500 block of Jamieson Place in the early morning of Thursday, April 24, according to the department.
Firefighters were dispatched at around 7:30 a.m., after, according to the department's Twitter, the family woke up to the sounds of their smoke alarm.
According to Pete Piringer, the fire department's Public Information Officer, firefighter arrived to reports that one resident had escaped, but a man was trapped inside.
CBS Washington, D.C. reports that a 65-year-old man died in the fire, while his wife was able to escape.
According to CBS, "The man was last seen trying to battle the fire inside the couple’s bedroom. The door to the room closed and the wife never saw the man again, according to [WNEW's John] Domen. Firefighters later discovered him on the second floor of the residence."
Piringer said that the woman was being evaluated for non life-threatening injuries.
The two-level home was almost completely destroyed. The family's dog was also rescued, but two of their cats are currently missing.