By Laura L. Thornton
With the federal government shutdown kicking
in, many locals are finding themselves without an office to go to, a job to do
or a paycheck.
Local businesses are springing into action, offering discounts for federal workers.
Here are a few food and drink specials in Montgomery County:
- In a special "Boneless Chicken, Spineless Congress" promotion,Nando's Peri-Peri (224 Boardwalk Place, Gaithersburg; 7271 Woodmont Ave.) offered on Tuesday free butterflied chicken to all "non-essential" government employees affected by the shutdown. "Nando’s wants to soothe the ruffled feathers of government workers," CEO Burton Heiss explained. To get the free meal, government employees could redeem the offer on Nando’s Facebook page, and present it with government ID.
- José Andrés announced via Twitter that furloughed folks (with ID) could receive a free sandwich at Jaleo (7271 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda) every day of the shutdown.
- In Silver Spring, The Daily Dish (8301-A Grubb Rd.) is offering any government employee with ID a free cup of coffee during the shutdown. Members of Congress have to pay double for theirs,The Washington Post reported.
- Just a little way down Connecticut Avenue from Chevy Chase, restaurant Ripple (3417 Connecticut Ave. NW) will offer half-priced draft beer and wines by the glass for the duration of the shutdown, The Post reported.
- And, just down Wisconsin Avenue from Friendship Heights, at Z-Burger (4321 Wisconsin Ave. NW), federal workers with ID can get a free burger, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 to 7 p.m. every day while the shutdown lasts, Washington City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- All Taylor Gourmet locations (including the one in Bethesda at 7280 Woodmont Ave.) are offering furloughed federal workers "a 10 percent discount, career counseling and a cookie" with the purchase of any hoagie or salad, The Post reported.
- At The Original Pancake House (7703 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda), all furloughed government employees with ID receive a 15 percent discount, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- At Scion Restaurant (1200 East-West Highway, Silver Spring), happy-hour specials are extended during lunch until the shutdown ends with half-price drafts, $5 glasses of wine, $4 rail drinks, $6 cocktails and appetizer specials, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- The 8407 Kitchen Bar (at 8407 Ramsey Ave., Silver Spring) is offering a free soup with any purchase at the bar as long as the shutdown lasts, and with federal government or military ID. Tuesday's soup was creamy potato, crispy bacon and chive, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- At Chevy Chase's Range restaurant (5335 Wisconsin Ave. NW), federal workers with ID can get a free margarita pizza, every day for the duration of the shutdown, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- At the Bethesda Row Cinema, use your government ID to get $1 off select beers, wines and cocktails while the shutdown lasts, the cinema tweeted to Patch.
more specials and discounts for federal workers at these links:
- The Washington Post: "Happy hour specials: Eat and drink for less during a government shutdown"
- Washington City "Shutdown" Paper: "The Essential Guide to Food and Drink Government Shutdown Specials (Updated)"
What are we missing? Tell us in the comments.