Invite a friend
Maple Sugar Festival
Visitors can begin the ‘sap to syrup’ journey with a brief movie in the nature center auditorium, followed by outdoor demonstrations of tapping maple trees, retrieving the crystal-clear sugary sap, and boiling it down into syrup. Each step of the way, guests will gain a better understanding and appreciation for the art and science of maple syrup and sugar making. Last year, more than 1,500 visitors stopped by the Festival to learn about this process.
Tasting opportunities will be available on silver-dollar-sized pancakes and swirled over shaved ice. Guests can also taste, and compare homemade maple syrup to commercial brands. Vendors will sell candy corn made from maple syrup, and hot beverages.
Guests will enjoy maple-themed crafts and games, live music and an interpretive tour of the Harper Cabin, a 1870s log home on the grounds of the nature center.
The Maple Sugar Festival is great fun for the whole family, $5 per person. The event will be held rain, snow, or shine. Participants can register in advance at ParkPASS.org #217149, and can expect to spend at least one hour savoring the complete festival experience.
|Where||Brookside Nature Center 1400 Glenallan Ave, Wheaton, MD 20902|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Time||11:00 am–4:00 pm|
|Who to bring||Everyone|
More About Brookside Nature Center
Located in Wheaton Regional Park, Brookside Nature Center offers nature programs, nature activities and summer camp programs. The center is home to live reptile, amphibian and fish exhibits, trails, boardwalks, bird, butterfly and native plant gardens, insect and mammal displays and a children's nature discovery area.
Other events here
- Spring Birds and Insects Storytimes Weekly on Sundays, 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Oak Ridge Trail Walk Tue, May 21, 6:00 pm–7:00 pm
- Teacher Tuesdays: Streams and Ponds-Exploring Our Watershed Tue, May 21, 6:30 pm–8:00 pm
- Brookside Tot Times: Sticks and Stones Wed, May 22, 11:30 am–12:15 pm
- Welcome Spring Campfire Lunch Thu, May 23, 12:00 pm–1:00 pm
- Nature Art Respite for Adults Fri, May 24, 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Full Moon Club: Flower Moon Sun, May 26, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Tree People Thu, May 30, 3:00 pm–4:00 pm