Where does "Going Green" rank on your list of priorities? It's important to Gaithersburg, and the city has planned the following activities that celebrate and improve the environment during Gaithersburg Green Week, held April 2-12:
Environmental Awards Ceremony
- When: Tuesday, April 2, 6:15 p.m.
- Where: City Hall Gallery, 31 S. Summit Ave.
- Details: Sponsored by Gaithersburg’s Environmental Affairs Committee, the 12th Annual Environmental Awards recognize individuals, businesses, schools, homeowner’s associations, nonprofits, and scouting groups for their commitment to the environment.
Green Week and Arbor Day Proclamation
- When: Tuesday, April 2, 7:30 p.m.
- Where: City Hall Council Chambers, 31 S. Summit Ave.
- Details: With official proclamations, the Mayor and City Council will designate April 2 - 12 as “Gaithersburg Green Week” and Tuesday April 9, 2013, as “Arbor Day” in the city of Gaithersburg.
Environmental Film Night
- When: Thursday, April 4, 7 p.m.
- Where: Kentlands Stadium 10 Theaters, 629 Center Point Way, Kentlands
- Details: Join us for a special FREE screening of the film People of a Feather, a feature documentary which tells the story of seven winters spent in the Arctic in the world of the Inuit on the isolated Belcher Islands in Hudson Bay. The film connects past, present and future in the Inuits’ unique cultural relationship with the eider duck, whose down is the warmest feather in the world and enables both Inuit and bird to survive harsh Arctic winters.
Make a Difference Day
- When: Friday, April 5
- Details: Use less! Do more! Check the City’s website at www.gaithersburgmd.gov/environment for suggestions on how you can improve the environment in your daily life and in our community.
Community Green Up Day
- When: Saturday, April 6, 9 a.m. to Noon
- Details: Join hundreds of volunteers as they make a difference throughout the community by cleaning up and beautifying local streams, schools, parks, and homeowner association common areas during Community Green Up Day. The city is looking for volunteers for this event. Students can also earn student service learning credits.
Arbor Day Celebration
- When: Tuesday, April 9
- Details: Children at a local elementary school will participate in an Arbor Day program on Tuesday, April 9, emphasizing the importance of trees in our community. During the assembly, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources will present the City with its 24th annual Tree City Award and the Mayor will donate a tree to the school.
SPEAK OUT: Will you participate in Gaithersburg Green Week? What activities are you most looking forward to? Tell us in the comments!